Sunday, June 14, 2009

Typologies

I have been looking at typologies because it relates to the aspect of having numerous images of the same type of thing.


Using ideas influenced by Martin Parr's work. I have taken pictures of the normal and mundane, to give them new light. They are photos of Dunedin Garages and I have used the typology technique to display them together.



Then I have digitally deconstructed this image by resizing repeatedly. It gives a dream-like out of focus effect.




Just thought I'd do something different. It could be interesting to subvert the idea of the 'iconic' place by using not so picture-perfect places. Instead of working with the familiar sights like Mitre Peak I could use more 'normal' icons of our identity, like garages for example. Things we would normally walk past and not notice.
We would notice them however, if we were in a foreign land. You tend to find the familiar things in life boring, the things you see everyday, seem mundane. When visiting a foreign land you notice more because everything is different than what you are used to.

No comments: