Monday, June 15, 2009

Presentation time

With our mid year presentation in a few days and the 5000 word essay finally out of the way, its time to think serious about presentation. I now have about 10 in my '50 iconic google images' series. Of that 10 there is about 5 or 6 that I think I can use for presentation. Thats getting rid of the two foreign Icons and probably Moeraki Boulders because it is in a more panoramic format.

So the questions are:

How many do I present? I think 3, 5, or 7 would be good. 3 if I'm presenting them separate would be enough to suggest a series in progress. 7 if I decide on the size that isn't too big (and expensive) or 5 if I want to display them all on on piece of paper.

What size should I have them?
huge - pixelated. reversing the small icon idea, why not massive!!
big - big enough that they look good up close and you can see them from far away
small - they look best quite small, resolution is ok and you can see whats in the image
tiny - play on the 'icon' idea and present them the same size as they appear on a computer screen

Colour or Black and White? b&w would look good framed with black frames and black matt board. Colour kind of works better conceptually as I am talking about the state of digital photography today, which is usually colour. Do I subvert this? Having them black and white would be paying homage to old photography techniques.

What Kind of Paper? I'm liking the semi gloss on the ink jet printer. I am thinking about looking into using some nice textured paper and I think this would work well with around A4-A3 size prints with the image floating in the space.

Frames? Not much time to make frames and I don't have much money to pay for them. Maybe just matt board around the edges of each image (or all if presented together)

Singular or all on a roll of paper?
good question....... I think these images work well on their own, each one is like a finished piece.
But having them all in a big strip would suggest unlimited possible iconic places, symbolising the nature of the tourism industry today.
I think they look better on their own but I am wondering if its the most appropriate way to present...

So theres a few things to think about, In my next few posts there might be some answers with a bit of luck, CHur

No comments: