Tuesday, April 28, 2009



'The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking.' Brooks Anderson.

This quote holds much relevance to me and my current art work in the field of photography and other mediums abroad. As a photographer you tend to observe certain things, sometimes more so than the average person would. In my final year at the Dunedin Art School I am beginning to see more and observe more of the happenings surrounding me in my life. 

Traveling to other countries and experiencing different cultures and observing different behaviors has opened my eyes and made me realize how big the World is. It has also made me see how unique our Country is and since being back home I have taken more of an interest in Cultural aspects and social happenings in our young, Bi-Cultural nation. 

There are various things that I have been looking at in my photography which range from National events like Waitangi Day celebrations to our landscape tourism industry and observations in and around Dunedin. World Navigation and Travel also interest me, from the past to the present, and how the world has become a much smaller place.

Sunset on The Navigator, Doubtful Sound. 2009

There are also various other projects I will have running throughout the year, some concerning our photography history which dates back to the early 1800's, through to the present technological advances in the digital world. 

I' keep this blog up to date throughout the year and hopefully keep it relevant and interesting with research links and current works.

Flying Over Borneo, Monsoon Season. 2008

No comments: